Friday 18 January 2013

Peter Pan



I turned 32 on Wednesday! Each year my age seems more and more ridiculous! Maybe I have a case of Peter Pan syndrome... or I'm what the ancient Greeks & Romans called puella aeterna- one who fears growing up. I had thought to come home to Australia and settle down… but after a year here I'm still not settled and find myself itching to take off on more adventures to faraway lands...

Though I'd dreaded my birthday, it surprised me by being rather lovely. Jerry brought me breakfast in bed, singing Happy Birthday, my phone tinged all day with a steady stream of well-wishing messages, hundreds of people sent me Facebook love, and my brother even recorded and published 'Happy Birthday Anna'  Lisa Simpson-style on his new app- Jam (which I'll discuss further down) and even got me a bit teary!

I really felt the birthday love.

I wore a pretty new summer dress, a present from Jerry, and we spent the day together cruising with the roof down in the sunny weather, did some shopping and had lunch at a quaint cafe by the South Melbourne Market. In the evening we headed to the beach for the Republica Beach Volleyball weekly tournament where we were joined by the rest of our extended volleyball team -'The Flukers' (mostly brothers and cousins). After lots of practise on our recent family beach holiday, we'd all much improved at the game and really kicked some but.

And the whole day we were kept excited by the progress of my brothers' music app Jam, which was released in the app store this week and is also really kicking but, climbing the charts like hell. It's now reached Number 1 in loads of countries including the important ones.
My brothers' business was always destined for greatness and luckily I divined that from the beginning when shares were being sold and I convinced a very cynical Jerry to invest in them. You can imagine the dollar signs in the eyes and the palm-rubbing going on now as Jam booms all over the world.

And still I'm melancholy, wondering where I should be and what I should be doing with my life.
Jerry also has Peter Pan syndrome and neither one of us can seem to tie the other down.
We dream of our own business- a restaurant for Jerry to manage which could double as an art space for me to manage, with a built-in studio and hopefully a garden… What fun it would be to interior design and decorate and to host special events and cocktail parties and exhibition openings..
Something like that might settle us down. 'Maybe you're just travelers at heart and are supposed to keep wandering forever' my friend Sarah suggests… 'Having babies would settle you down' my mum is sure…

32 is just a number. People achieve things at different stages in their lives and I wouldn't swap what I've done with my life for a career and a family... but I do also want those things when it's my time :o) ….


No comments:

Post a Comment