Monday 14 January 2013

Finals List


The day finally arrived when it would be announced which Miss Pinup contestants would go through to the finals. After months of obsessing over this competition, pillaging opp-shops for vintage hats and gloves, squandering rent money on bullet bras and girdles, and hours spent studying youtube tutorials on 50's hairstyles and makeup techniques, I was imaginably a tad anxious about receiving the results. What would I do if my name didn't appear in the list?!

On one hand I felt confident with my 'Vienne Rose' photo entries, but who was to know what the judges were looking for…
All day I kept the Miss Pinup webpage up on my laptop, pressing refresh every 10 minutes.
Jerry convinced to to come for a run with him along the beach to get me out of the house so I brought my phone along, the website open and ready. At the jungle-gym in the park, I stopped to refresh the webpage and my heart stopped. The lists were up.

I hurriedly scanned through the names under 'Miss Perfect Finalists' and there was no Vienne Rose. The blood drained from my face, my heart sunk into my stomach, shock and disappointment stunned me. But wait- I had entered in two categories- Miss Perfect (for general Pinups) and Miss Classic (for over 30's)… My eyes raced down the page to the second list and relief washed over me. There I was, Miss Classic Finalists- Vienne Rose.

Yaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!! Relief and happiness. And then the compulsory poke of paranoia- 'Why Miss Classic and not Miss Perfect..? Is it because they think I look old?' I'm so silly.
Momentarily my phone began to ring- Mum, who must have also been sitting on the refresh button, calling to congratulate me. And knowing me too well, to reassure me.  

'Of course you got through!' Jerry declared as we ran home together '...you're Anna Banan!'
With a big smile on my face, I imagined the big new adventure ahead of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment